Security of supply in COVID19 timesThe importance of nuclear
COVID19 has had – and continues to have – a profound impact on our society. It has led to massive job losses and an economic crisis which is likely to be felt for many years to come. At the same time it has highlighted the essential nature of sectors such as healthcare and energy.
Against this backdrop, FORATOM will be organising a series of three webinars relating to the role which nuclear plays in terms of enabling a constant supply of low carbon electricity and how it will support economic growth and job creation. Speakers will include representatives from industry, regulatory bodies, the European Commission, Member States, and electricity grid providers.
Webinar 1 – Measures implemented by the nuclear sector
1 July 2020, 15.00 – 16.30
(Click on the name to download presentation)
- Madalina Coca – Head of the Nuclear Reactors Regulation and Oversight Section Nuclear Fuel Cycle Division National Commission for Nuclear Activities Control (CNCAN)
- Yves Desbazeille – Director General, FORATOM
- Chris Fayers – Head of Environment, Hinkley Point C, EDF Energy
- Ad Louter – Managing Director, Urenco Netherlands
- Bharat Patel – D3 Unit, DG Energy, European Commission
- Pál Tóth– Technical Director, MVM Paks NPP
Webinar 2 – Impact of COVID19 on markets and grids
8 July 2020, 15.00 – 16.30
This second webinar will focus on how the electricity market and networks have responded during the crisis and ways in which the power system could be made more resilient to ensure security of supply in the long-term. The discussion will cover the following:
- How has COVID19 affected the electricity markets?
- How can security of electricity supply be guaranteed in the long-term?
- How can we ensure a stable power system?
- Milan Sykora – Nuclear Compliance Officer, CEZ
- Sama Bilbao y Leon – Head, Division of Nuclear Technology Development and Economics (NTE), OECD-NEA
- Remi Mayet – Deputy Head of Unit, Energy Security & Safety, DG Energy, European Commission
Webinar 3 – Ensuring a clean future for Europe
15 July 2020, 15.00 – 16.30
The final webinar in the series will bring together high level speakers with the goal of identifying the policies which will support sectors capable of generating clean economic growth and jobs in Europe as we come out of the crisis. The discussion will cover the following:
- Post-COVID19 recovery: Why is nuclear essential?
- What role can nuclear play according to Member States NECPs?
- How can EU policy support European industries?
Valérie Faudon – Director General, SFEN